?

Log in

No account? Create an account
entries friends calendar profile SpaceParanoids.net Previous Previous Next Next
Attempt #2 - Jarrett Heather
Jarrett Heather's Journal
jarrett
jarrett
Attempt #2
I was just finishing up a post when my power strip had a melt down. I had to dig up a new one and get under my desk and rewire everything.

I was writing a little rant about new heater fan, which I plugged into the same strip as my computer, phone, printer, two 19" monitors, speakers, halogen floorlamp, microwave and refrigerator. Can you believe it died on me? Curse you, Belkin.

Anyway, while I was on break today I stopped by Target and picked up a little heater fan. My desk is right by the window, so it gets mighty chilly. My hands tend to get really cold while I'm typing away.

Now this fan cost $40. That's a pretty heavy duty investment. It's not the cheapest one you can get. It has two heat settings, a thermostat, and it oscillates. Plus it looks cool. But when I took it out of the box to set it up, the intake filter was completely saturated with dust. It looks like it's been used for a significant period of time.

I cleaned it out. It seems to work okay. It's quiet. It's warm. I guess it's not worth the trouble to exchange it.

Only now I'm a little afraid to turn it on. I moved the heater onto a different power strip, and it only shares a plug with a couple other devices now. I'd hate to have to call the facilities people if I flip a breaker or something. They'd probably have a few things to say about the fridge, the microwave, the lamp and the heater. The MAN doesn't want us to have any creature comforts like cold sodas, warm leftovers, soft light and comfortable fingers.

I'd better keep this fan on the low setting (900 W) in the future.
3 comments or Leave a comment
Comments
kalthrax From: kalthrax Date: January 5th, 2004 03:48 pm (UTC) (Link)
When it comes to power bars dont listen musch or care much about watts you need to check the joule
[Error: Irreparable invalid markup ('<sp?>') in entry. Owner must fix manually. Raw contents below.]

When it comes to power bars dont listen musch or care much about watts you need to check the joule <sp?>rating you want like 10k or higher. As far as your computer goes you really really shoudl have your tower on a ups with avr ( automatic voltage regualtor) especially if you have a pent 4. The avr streams lines the voltage coming into the computer so instead of high peaks and low valleys you have a uniformed power. It will also stop your power surgers from applicens and the like. Such as when your lights dim if you the fridge kicks on or if the dishwasher or the dryer etc turn on. But as far as a power goes goes i wouldnt put a computer one not with the way they are built today to easy to fry. and granted you could never have an issue being connected to a $2 power strip but when you computer cost upwards of a grand or 2 i think a 50 to 150 investment worth it*shrug* just my 2 cents...


KaL
From: dark_wolfe Date: January 5th, 2004 06:38 pm (UTC) (Link)
Um--I agree with what the other guy said.

I would also NOT put appliances on the same strip as your computer. I would actually hesitate from putting a heater or fan on a power strip period (those things CAUSE power surges).

I remember SacWeb went through a few strips 'cause they kept putting the refrigerator on a power strip. Umm... yea, not wise :-)
kalthrax From: kalthrax Date: January 5th, 2004 08:53 pm (UTC) (Link)
thats why i am saying
if you get a powerbar or strip with a high jouls rating and put your computer on a ups with avr then the surges from something like a heater wont amke a diff, jsu tplug the avr in the wall and the power bar into the wall. Just get a good power bar :)


KaL
3 comments or Leave a comment