For the last few days I've been doing some research, and I finally settled on the Dell Inspiron 8600. Shaun (darkwolfe) had great things to say about them, and Richard at work actually had an 8500 he let me play with. It's a nice machine. They are bit heavy, but I probably won't be travelling with mine very often.
Making the purchase was a tough decision, so I had to consult the magic eight ball. When I asked if I should go for it, the response was YES DEFINITELY. So I did.
So anyways, here's how I spec'd mine out:
- Intel® Pentium® M Processor (1.5GHz)
- 15.4" Widescreen (1280 x 800)
- 512 MB RAM (333 MHz)
- 64 MB DDR NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX Go5200 (AGP 4X)
- 40 GB Hard Drive
- Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
- Venice Blue QuickSnap™ Cover
- A bunch of crappy pre-installed software I don't want or need
The next big decision: What to name it. The computers and drives on my network are named after Simpsons characters. Past computers have been named Homer, Flanders, Patty, Burns, Snake, and Apu.